Sendmail configured, but symfony erorr message?

Hi,
I configured my Typo3 V12 to use a local phpsendmail command, but I get an error message, indicating that Symfony mail component was used…
Did I get something wrong?
(open_proc() is deactivated on my hosting for security reasons, so I can’t go with Symfony…)

Could not deliver mail
Please verify $GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['MAIL'][*] settings are valid. Error message: Call to undefined function Symfony\Component\Mailer\Transport\Smtp\Stream\proc_open()

Hi Christoph!

If you set $GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['MAIL']['transport'] = 'sendmail' you also have to configure $GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['MAIL']['transport_sendmail_command'].

Check out the sendmail configuration in the TYPO3 documentation.

Let me know if that helps and please feel free to ask more questions!

— Mathias

@mabolek thank you for your answer.
I set ['transport_sendmail_command'] but typo3 seems to need open_proc with any configuration here.
I experienced another issue with this setting:
If the command is set without either -t or -bs typo3 can be installed, but no login is possible. (gives error 503)
I’m using a wrapper around sendmail so I actually do not need a parameter there, but typo3 seems to insist on this parameter.
I consider this a bug in typo3 …

Hi Christoph!

TYPO3 is anyway using Symfony’s Mailer component, it’s not really a bug in TYPO3 and there’s little that can be done from the TYPO3 Core’s side. I suggest you report the bug to Symfony. :slightly_smiling_face:

— Mathias

@mabolek I think you got me wrong.
That Typo3 does not let you log in after installation if the mail configuration is not having a certain parameter set, although this parameter is not necessary and email services are not needed at all at this point, is surely a bug in Typo3.
Typo3 gives the Error page not symfony…

Hi Christoph!

Thank you for sending that screenshot.

Symfony Mailer is where the -t or -bs options are required and it is this code that throws a generic \InvalidArgumentException leading to the error message you are seeing.

However, I think it is a valid argument that you should be able to log in without a working proper email setup. Try submitting a bug report.

I haven’t tried this out, but I think setting $GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['MAIL']['transport'] = 'mbox' will avoid the problem. Using $GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['MAIL']['transport'] = 'smtp' may also be a way out.

Generally speaking TYPO3 uses commands like exec(), and it’s hard to live without them. Most web hosts do offer the possibility of manually enabling such functions in their configuration and choosing a host that does will likely save you some pain.

Let me know if that helps and please feel free to ask more questions!

— Mathias

@mabolek I filed two bug reports…

1 Like

Great! Thanks!

— Mathias