Grid styled content

Markus Timtner

What is your idea about?
a successor for fluid_styled_content with display:flex and display:grid

As you all may know, the de-facto standard for content element markus is based on fluid_styled_content [FSC], at least when you do not want to create your content elements from stretch.
The problem is, the markup and styling for theser elements is getting old, very old.

As you all may know, the de-facto standard for content element markus is based on fluid_styled_content [FSC],at least when you do not want to create your content elements from stretch.

The problem is, the markup and styling for theser elements is getting old, very old.

The roots of FSC date back to TYPO3 v7, which is more than 10 years old now. Meanwhile, there have been significantly improvements to CSS, namely display:flex and display:grid, which allow a t achieve better layouts with less markup and styling.

The plugin extends and alters the “appeareance” Tab of CEs, it adds a “gridclass” select dropdown between layout and frame_class, and alters the values of theses.
These variables are used to set the necessary classes for efficent grid styling. My aim for grid_Styled_content is to replace fsc while maintaining backwards compatibility, to provide future-proof content-element with accessible markup and adaptive styling - and to educate all of you on the benefits of display:(flex|grid)

In Combination with some containers one can then realize all sorts of state-of-the-art layouts.

What do you want to achieve by the end of Q2 2024?

the working extension!

What is the potential impact of your idea for the overall goal?

More useable and flexible content elements, less code and better templates!

Which budget do you need for your idea?
7.500 Euro

2 Likes

TYPO3 v13 will introduce the content blocks into the core. Doesn’t it make more sense to invest that money into that direction instead of FSC which might become obsolete with TYPO3 v14 or v15?

6 Likes

Hello good Morning,
thank you for your feedback!

Yes, I know of content_blocks, but the focus of grid_styled_content is to provide a future-proof successor to FSC, just as fluid_styled_content provided an update to css_styled_content.

content_blocks seems to be a great way to build your own content elements, with grid_styled_content I want to provide a state-of-the-art set of Elements which already provide the basic layout styling and accessibility.

So it is more about providing sensible defaults and less about build your own.

My personal opinion is to make it compatible as much as possible with bootstrap_package and not come up with your own ideas.

That includes some good defaults for Text, Text/Image Text/Video… elements that are for example based on Bootstrap Grids. The most annoying thing for me is when people think they can do it better and try reinventing the wheel simply because they can.

The next thing I would request is a good default for HTML mails because they don’t exist yet and I would really love if TYPO3 would have something available for sending out nice emails. Laravel for example uses the templates from GitHub - ActiveCampaign/postmark-templates: Rock-solid transactional email templates for applications. They could then be used by the core as well (Admin Panel test email and felogin Forgot PW) for example.

If a customer wants to use Tailwind, then let him do that but I would definitly built upon “some” standard at least.

2 Likes

Hi Simon, thanks for your feedback!

Email templates are a topic of its own^^

The standard I build upon is just plain html/css, which is more than sufficient now.
I just want t include the least amount of markup&styling as possible
(which is a lot less than BS or TW as of now)
Just the already available content elements streamlined with today’s possibilities.

Whoever wants to use bootstrap or tailwind can built their own templates then.

I’m a bit late, as the vote has already taken place, but I’d still like to share my idea.

With the new “Content Blocks” you can create your own standard set of content elements. During testing, I realised that I barely need any elements from FSC. What I still need, however, is lib.parseFunc and lib.parseFunc_RTE. Nevertheless, it would be nice if the standard set of content elements were still available in the future, which you could then copy into your own site package as independent, customisable “content blocks” at the touch of a button in the install tool, for example, and thus activate them.

I would find the modernisation with display flex/grid helpful here.

These content blocks could then be easily customised at any time (e.g. Bootstrap) and would also be a great template for all other elements, which could be very useful for beginners in particular.