Considering TYPO3 after years with Drupal!

Greetings all!

I am Roadwolf, a casual blogger. I have had my blog running for about 18 years now. It started on simple HTML and then wordpress for a while, but much of it’s life has been on Drupal. I have now grown tired of Drupal’s push to update from 7 to 10 and have had nothing but issues and wasted time in attempting to accomplish that.

I am looking to replace my Drupal install with a new self hosted CMS, which ideally will allow me to run several domains off of the same backend if possible. But at minimum I want an easy to maintain site, with access levels / private post options. I mostly write, but also enjoy posting the odd photo album/story. I wonder if there is any sort of integration to turn photos uploaded into NFT’s automatically with this CMS? It is something I was pondering as a way to ensure copyright? but never really dived into yet.

Tracking visitors and hits is also important to me. I love knowing where people are visiting my site from. So built in analytics or the ability to use matomo or something would be ideal. I like to avoid using cloud or non-self hosted services.

I do tend to enjoy doing things the ‘hard way’ or old school way when it comes to scripting and customizing things. But I also enjoy and appreciate a helpful and friendly community, to help me learn and guide me when I am tackling a new project such as a new CMS. And I hope to find that here?

I look forward to a reply, and thank you for your time.

Nice to meet you all :slight_smile:

Nice to meet you scot and welcome in the TYPO3 community.

which ideally will allow me to run several domains off of the same backend if possible

this is one of the Core Features of TYPO3

. I wonder if there is any sort of integration to turn photos uploaded into NFT’s automatically with this CMS?

I did not find an extension with the Tag NFT in the repository (https://extensions.typo3.org) - but maybe you ask via slack or Stackoverflow.

Welcome :slight_smile:

That’s not an issue with TYPO3, if you follow some best practices. TYPO3 itself comes with a deprecation policy for Code/API and update wizards in order to migrate your existing content.

I guess most people self-host TYPO3. I’m not even aware of an on premise solution out there.

Can you elaborate on that? Not sure what you mean. TYPO3 has a fine-grained permission system for backend users, but I guess you mean something else?

That should work out of the box. You could hide the posts and use TYPO3 built-in admin panel in preview mode to see the posts. That way they are not available to any visitor, except to you as soon as you are logged in into the backend.

You could also use some of the copyright extensions to watermark your photos if that is good enough.

There are extensions to integrate Matomo. I’m wondering what you mean by “built-in” in that case, as you probably only need to add a small JavaScript snippet? But you might be interested in TYPO3 Extension 'Matomo Integration' (matomo_integration) and TYPO3 Extension 'Matomo Widgets' (matomo_widgets).

Feel free to join slack TYPO3 Support – Find Free and Paid TYPO3 Help